The John and Jean Loosley Faculty Fellowship

John and Jean LoosleyJohn and Jean Harris Loosley's success was built from the ground up, literally. After Jean graduated from Oregon State in 1948 with a bachelor's degree in business administration and John completed his civil engineering degree in 1949, John worked for the cities of Astoria and Roseburg before being hired by Roseburg Paving Company in 1955. Ten years later the Loosleys purchased the company; John served as CEO and Jean also played a key role, overseeing its financial matters. They expanded into the ready-mix concrete and sand and gravel businesses, increasing their staff from 20 employees to 200 by the time they sold the businesses in 2000.

The Loosleys are active in the Roseburg community, serving on numerous local boards and with Redeemers Church. They have two children, both of whom are Oregon State graduates. A former member of the National Asphalt Paving Association board, John was inducted into the OSU College of Engineering Hall of Fame in 2006.

In addition to other generous gifts to the College of Engineering and the College of Business, the couple established the John and Jean Loosley Faculty Fellowship Fund in 2009 for up-and-coming faculty in the School of Civil and Construction Engineering.

 

Armin W. Stuedlein

Armin SteudleinArmin Stuedlein, assistant professor of geotechnical engineering, became the Loosley Faculty Fellow in 2012. His research focuses on the performance and reliability of foundations and ground improvement methods for the support of civil infrastructure.

Stuedlein joined the OSU faculty in 2009 after earning his doctorate in civil engineering from the University of Washington and working as a private consultant for Seattle-based geotechnical firms. He also holds a master's degree from Syracuse University and a bachelor's from the State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

 

Read Next Profile

Back to Endowed Positions

© OSU Foundation | 850 SW 35th St. | Corvallis, Oregon 97333| 541-737-4218 | 541-737-0498 fax

Oregon State University | OSU Foundation